Sunday, September 17, 2006

Osama Bin Laden on the Road to Conversion

I woke up this morning possessing an odd and unbidden insight. Osama Bin Laden is on the path to a conversion and may even now be thinking in this direction. Pray for him. He is a true believer and God comes to true believers ahead of all earthly timetables—with a little help from His friends.


The proper response of the Pope to Moslems regarding the recent quote from the Byzantine era should have been that he, Pope Benedict begs God’s forgiveness for any lack of charity or personal transgressions on his part and that all Christians should pray for their Moslem brothers, and pray equally that God should show mankind the way to peace, forgiveness and harmony with God’s wishes. His response needed to be sufficiently vague in the worldly sense but positive and ‘as cunning as serpents” in the spiritual sense. Needless to say, I found the wording of his recent apology to Islam in general to be utterly gutless and without insight. I know that he is concerned with the Christians who may bear the brunt of the irrational violence of the Islamic organism but in my opinion, appeasement couched in the language of ontologically rootless western diplomats is not the way the head of the Church and Vicar of Christ should proceed. Easy for me to say I know but I suspect there are many who share my opinion, spiritually and politically closeted or otherwise.

No comments: